When someone is following you while you’re driving, it can be a very frightening experience, especially if you’re unsure how you should react.
Read on to learn what you should do if you believe another driver is following you.
Identifying a Stalker
The first step to getting rid of a stalker is to identify that they are, in fact, stalking you. Most people don’t pay attention to their surroundings, which makes following others pretty easy.
Pay attention to what’s going on around you. Develop a habit of situational awareness while you’re away from home. That way, you’ll be able to identify normal behavior as opposed to actions that cause concern. Establish baselines so that you’re able to quickly point out anomalies.
Confirming a Stalker
In order to confirm that the vehicle behind you is following you, you can do one of two things:
- If you’re driving on the street, make four right turns. If the car is still following you after the fourth turn, it’s likely they’re stalking you.
- If you’re on the highway, get off and then right back on. If the car is still following behind you, there’s a good chance you’re being followed.
What to Do
Once you’ve confirmed there’s someone following you, you should do everything you can to avoid a confrontation. In addition, it’s a good idea to take heed to the following guidelines:
- Don’t go home. The last thing you want is for your stalker to know where you live.
- Stay in public, well-lit, and well-populated areas. Don’t go anywhere that could put you in a situation where you’re alone with your stalker. Stay on main roads and avoid rural areas.
- Collect information. Get as much information about the vehicle (such as the make, model, color, and license plate) and the driver as possible without putting yourself in danger.
- Alert the authorities. If you feel like you’re in danger, call the police to tell them what’s happening. You can also drive directly to the police station, and this should shake the stalker.
- Utilize well-trafficked roads with many stoplights and stop signs. The more times you have to stop, the more chances you have to shake off your stalker.
We’re Here to Help
If you’ve been injured as a result of a car accident in which someone else was at fault, we may be able to help you recover the compensation you’re owed. Contact our office right away to schedule a free consultation.
Call us today at (662) 262-6264 to discuss the details of your case!