Wrongful Death Attorneys in Mississippi
The Advocacy You & Your Family Need; Serving Mississippi, Tennessee & Texas
If your loved one died as a result of someone else’s careless, reckless, or wrongful actions, you have our heartfelt condolences. At MW Law Firm PLLC - Mama Justice, we understand that there is nothing more difficult than losing a loved one, and you likely have many questions about what to do next. As a mother who has lost a child, our founding attorney knows how death hurts and she is here to help guide you through the pain and legal process of bringing a wrongful death claim.
Led by our founding attorney, Missy Wigginton, we represent everyday people throughout Northeastern Mississippi, from Tupelo to Oxford to Corinth to Aberdeen. Our Mississippi wrongful death lawyers have a long track record of successfully negotiating good settlements for their clients after the death of a loved one. We are dedicated to our clients and will do whatever we can to help you get on solid financial footing after your loss.
What Is a “Wrongful” Death?
When someone dies because of the negligent or careless actions of another, or because someone intended them harm, that is a wrongful death. Family members may be able to receive compensation for the loss of their loved one.
Examples of wrongful deaths include:
- A fatal car accident caused by someone drinking and driving or driving while texting
- A fatal trucking accident caused by a poorly maintained vehicle or a driver falling asleep at the wheel because he drove too many hours
- A fall down the stairs or from a balcony because of poor property maintenance
- A fall at a construction site because of careless actions of a subcontractor
- An employee dying on a job site from exposure to a toxic chemical because he had not been provided with proper safety equipment or training
- Medical malpractice when a nurse gives the wrong dose of a medication
Who Can Bring a Wrongful Death Claim?
Even though the death of your loved one is very unfair and you may be feeling immense grief and anger at this time, the only people who can bring a lawsuit for wrongful death in Mississippi are those who had a close relationship and a financial relationship with the deceased.
A wrongful death claim can be brought against the liable party by a spouse and/or underage children for the loss of support. It could be brought by the parent of an adult child if the parent relied upon income from the adult child.
What about children or elderly family members who are not financial contributors? These people are still valuable members of your family, and you can still bring a claim for compensation, though you are likely to receive a smaller award.
Tennessee Bar Association
U. S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit
U. S. District Courts for Northern and Southern Mississippi
Supreme Court of the State of Mississippi
United States Bankruptcy Court
American Bar Association
Mississippi Bar Association
The National Trial Lawyers Top 100
What Kind of Compensation Can You Receive?
The amount of money a family may receive will be based on several different things, including:
- Your loved one’s earnings at the time of death and his/her anticipated earnings in the future
- The value of the services he or she provided to your household (parental guidance, spousal affection, etc.)
- The medical expenses that resulted from the fatal injury
- The deceased’s pain and suffering prior to death (in some cases)
- Funeral expenses
Let Us Handle the Details while You Focus on Healing
Most personal injury and wrongful death cases are settled through negotiations. At MW Law Firm PLLC - Mama Justice, we handle all negotiations for our clients so that they don’t have to deal with an insurance company or an employer. Our Mississippi wrongful death attorneys can gather all accident reports, medical records, and bills, as well as establish proof of lost wages and future income. We handle all the details so you can focus on putting your life back together.
Sometimes a case needs to go to trial in order to get the family the financial support they truly need and deserve. If that should be the situation for your family, you can have confidence knowing an experienced trial attorney at MW Law Firm PLLC - Mama Justice can fight hard for your family.
Mrs. Wigginton is true to her name.- Lillian F.
Missy is a fighter and doesn't give up on her cases.- Gayla
Mama Missy truly cares about her clients.- Elizabeth
Best lawyer ever!- Former Client
Missy gets the job done!- Keith