Types of Wrongful Death Claims We Handle
There are various types of accidents that we see take place in Starkville and throughout the entire state that take the lives of innocent parties. When victims lose their lives in accidents, surviving family members often seek to obtain justice and hold the negligent party accountable. Working with a personal injury attorney that is well-versed in handling these complex claims is critical when it comes to ensuring you are able to get justice.
The Starkville personal injury attorneys at Mama Justice have extensive experience helping families get the justice they deserve after losing loved ones due to the negligence of others. Over the years, we have helped families pursue personal injury claims and wrongful death claims following various types of accidents, including:
- Car accidents: Car accidents are one of the leading causes of injuries and accidental death in the state of Mississippi. Here in Starkville, we see many victims lose their lives in car accidents due to negligent and reckless drivers.
- Truck accidents: Commercial vehicle accidents are more likely to cause significant injuries and death due to the size and weight of the vehicles involved. When semi-trucks strike small passenger vehicles, they can cause extensive damages and death.
- Pedestrian accidents: The state of Mississippi constantly ranks in the top three for the deadliest states for pedestrians. Every year, we see more than 50 people lose their lives as a result of pedestrian accidents in our state.
- Motorcycle accidents: Like pedestrians, motorcyclists have very little protection during accidents. These victims are likely to be ejected from their vehicles and experience fatal injuries.
- Bicycle accidents: Like motorcyclists, bicyclists have little more than helmets to protect them at the time of their accidents. These riders are typically ejected from their vehicles or entirely ran over by reckless, negligent, and malicious motorists.
- Drunk Driving Accidents: Approximately 20% of all fatal car accidents in the state of Mississippi involve a drunk driver. Drunk and impaired drivers are more likely to lose control of their vehicles and crash into others sharing the road.
- Workers’ Comp Accidents: More than 50 people lose their lives in workplace accidents in our state each year. These accidents are often a result of workplace violence, inadequate training, and improper safety equipment. When victims lose their lives on the job, our personal injury attorney Missy Wigginton investigates the scene and helps clients build the strongest case possible to get families justice.
- Rideshare, Uber, Lyft Accidents: Although rideshare vehicles have helped to curb the number of drunk driving accidents that take place in our state each year, they are becoming involved in more crashes across our state. Rideshare accidents can be complex. For this reason, families can benefit greatly by working with a fearless and knowledgeable personal injury attorney in Starkville to protect their legal rights.
- Premises Liability Accidents: We see many people lose their lives in slip and fall accidents, violent attacks, fires, and other accidents resulting from negligent property owners. Regardless of whether your loved one lost their life at a home or a business, our personal injury law firm can help you get justice.
- Nursing Home Negligence or Abuse: A significant number of patients in nursing home facilities experience some type of abuse or neglect. When these instances of abuse and negligence go without being addressed for an extended time, it can ultimately lead to the injury or death of patients.
These and various other types of personal injury accidents often claim the lives of numerous people in Mississippi every year. If your loved one has lost their life as a result of someone else’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation that you can use to cover various financial burdens you face.
Contact our Starkville wrongful death lawyers at Mama Justice to see how a wrongful death claim can help you get justice.
Recoverable Damages From Wrongful Death Claims
After losing a loved one, most families want to see justice served. Depending on the type of accident that claimed your family member, the at-fault party may be held accountable in criminal court. Regardless of whether they are found criminally liable for the death, your family can still pursue a wrongful death claim in civil court to recover financially.
By filing a wrongful death claim, entitled parties may be able to recover financial compensation that they can use to help cover some of the financial burdens they are forced to endure after the sudden loss of a loved one. In Mississippi, families can recover compensation for both economic damages and non-economic damages by pursuing wrongful death claims.
Economic damages are the financial damages that families endure due to actual losses or expenses they incur after losing a loved one.
Some of the economic damages that claimants can recover include:
- Lost wages from the time of the accident leading up to the passing of the decedent
- Lost wages and other income/benefits that a victim would have earned over their lifetime had they lived
- The loss of inheritance
- Medical costs
- Property damage
- Burial expenses
- Funeral expenses
In addition, families may be able to recover damages for various non-economic damages. These damages have no financial impact on surviving relatives. However, they do impact them in a very negative way.
Some of the non-economic damages that entitled parties can recover through litigation include:
- Loss of parental guidance
- loss of services
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of consortium
Our Mississippi wrongful death lawyers will file a wrongful death claim against the negligent party to ensure you are able to recover fair compensation after experiencing the loss of a loved one due to negligence.
Contact Mama Justice – MW Law Firm online or by phone at (888) 484-1476 today for a free and confidential consultation.
Handling Wrongful Death Cases Involving Auto Accidents
The majority of wrongful death claims that our Starkville wrongful death lawyer handles center around victims who have lost their lives as a result of a motor vehicle accident. These can include crashes involving cars, trucks, motorcycles, bicycles, pedestrians, and even rideshare vehicles.
Many personal injury accidents leading to death occur due to the negligent actions of motorists. Some of the leading causes in Starkville, MS include:
- Driving while impaired: Drunk driving is the cause of more than 18% of fatal accidents in our state every year. These accidents have severe consequences for innocent drivers sharing the road.
- Distracted driving: The leading cause of crashes in the country is distracted drivers. People who are distracted while operating their vehicles are 23-times more likely to cause accidents than drivers who are not texting, reaching for other objects, or have their attention diverted from the roadway ahead.
- Speeding: Around 15% of all fatal traffic-related incidents in the state of Mississippi involve someone who was driving their vehicle above the posted speed limit. Driving at a high rate of speed can make it challenging to control the vehicle to avoid a collision.
If your loved one has lost their life as a result of a motor vehicle accident, our Mississippi wrongful death attorneys can help you get justice. Our lawyers will file a lawsuit against the negligent driver and help you hold them to account.
Handling Wrongful Death Cases Involving Workplace Accidents
If your loved one has lost their life as a result of a personal injury accident while on the job, it is imperative that you seek the legal guidance of a skilled and experienced law firm right away. Our lawyers at Mama Justice have helped families in Starkville and across the entire state get justice after losing loved ones in various types of fatal workplace accidents, including:
- Accidents stemming from inadequate training
- In-between accidents
- Falling object accidents
- Defective machinery
- Toxic chemical exposures
- Electrocution injuries
Our personal injury lawyers will investigate the circumstances surrounding the accident and build the strongest case possible to help your family get justice.
Let Our Starkville Personal Injury Attorneys Help You
One of the most challenging things a person can experience is having to deal with the wrongful death of a loved one. Our lawyers at Mama Justice completely understand the inconsolable heartache that families are forced to endure after learning that their loved one has lost their life in an accident.
Learning that their family member lost their life as a result of another person’s actions just makes it more challenging to accept. For this reason, our lawyers are committed to helping families get justice.
Our lawyers are committed to creating a strong attorney-client relationship with every person we represent. We treat our clients like family and truly value and respect their personal interests. We fight not only to protect their legal rights but to make sure their needs are met and represented throughout the entire legal process.
Our Starkville wrongful death attorney at Mama Justice can schedule a free consultation at your earliest convenience to discuss your case and the legal options available to help you recover. Contact our wrongful death attorneys in Starkville today by calling (662) 262-6264. Our wrongful death lawyer is available to meet with you to discuss your case and to help your family get justice.