Jackson Traumatic Brain Injury Attorneys
Serious Head & Brain Injuries
An injury to the head or brain can significantly impact the victim’s life. Traumatic brain injuries, or TBIs, often lead to devastating complications, from cognitive impairment to behavioral changes to permanent and irreversible damage. When a victim suffers a TBI in an accident or incident caused by someone else’s negligence, they and their family deserve justice.
At MW Law Firm - Mama Justice, we are committed to helping victims of serious head and brain injuries fight for the fair compensation they are owed. With more than 40 years of combined experience and a long-standing history of success, we are recognized for our dedication to our clients and our ability to successfully secure the results they need to heal. Led by our founding attorney, Missy Wigginton, AKA Mama Justice, our team is here to guide you through the legal process and advocate for your rights.
Types of Brain Injuries
An acquired brain injury (ABI) is a brain injury that occurs any time after a person is born. Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) are those that result from catastrophic events, such as motor vehicle accidents or significant falls.
TBIs are further categorized into two main types:
- Closed-Head Injuries: A closed-head injury is a brain injury in which the skull bone surrounding the brain suffers no physical damage.
- Open-Head Injuries: An open-head injury is a brain injury in which the skull bone surrounding the brain is physically damaged.
Open-head injuries, such as skull fractures, are often viewed as more dangerous due to their immediately life-threatening nature. However, closed-head injuries are equally as serious and can sometimes be even more dangerous, as they are more difficult to detect. A person with a closed-head injury may not realize that they have suffered brain damage right away, meaning their diagnosis and treatment could be delayed.
Some of the different types of TBIs include:
- Concussions: A concussion is a type of brain injury caused by sudden force, such as a blow to the head. Although they are generally considered “mild,” concussions are still serious and require professional medical treatment. Severe concussions, as well as multiple concussions, can lead to significant brain damage and related complications.
- Contusions: A brain contusion is essentially a bruise that forms on the brain, typically in conjunction with another injury, such as a concussion. In most cases, brain contusions are relatively mild and heal on their own. Sometimes, however, they can cause significant complications and may need to be surgically removed.
- Coup-Contrecoup: A coup-contrecoup brain injury is actually two injuries that occur when a powerful force or impact to the head damages the brain at the initial point of impact and causes the brain to move within the skull and hit the opposing inner wall. The second point of injury occurs where the brain slams into the inside of the skull.
- Diffuse Axonal Injuries: A diffuse axonal injury is a type of brain injury in which the tiny, microscopic connective fibers within the brain tear. Also known as “shearing,” these tears can lead to devastating and irreversible brain damage depending on their size and location. Sadly, this type of brain injury is often fatal.
- Oxygen Deprivation: Anoxia and hypoxia are two forms of oxygen deprivation in which oxygen supply is entirely cut off or partially cut off, respectively. Oxygen deprivation can lead to significant brain damage within a matter of seconds and, if oxygen is completely cut off or restricted for too long, it can be fatal.
- Penetrating Injuries: A penetrating brain injury is a type of open-head injury in which a foreign object pierces the skull and enters the brain. These types of brain injuries are commonly associated with violence and criminal activity, but penetrating brain injuries can occur in all types of accidents and catastrophic events.
- Skull Fractures: A skull fracture occurs when the skull bone breaks. This type of brain injury is particularly catastrophic and often fatal. While some fractures are relatively mild, many skull fractures lead to serious, life-threatening complications, such as hemorrhaging and coma. In some cases, pieces of the skull may contact the brain, leading to significant damage.
Regardless of the type of brain injury you or a loved one sustained, it is absolutely critical that you seek immediate medical attention. If you notice any signs of a brain injury, especially after a blow to the head or serious fall, go to the hospital or call 911 right away.
Common Causes of Traumatic Brain Injuries
Traumatic brain injuries most commonly result from accidents and other catastrophic events, as well as intentional and/or criminal acts.
Some of the leading causes of TBIs include:
- Car accidents
- Motorcycle wrecks
- Large truck collisions
- Sports accidents
- Recreational accidents
- Medical errors
- Birth injuries
- Workplace accidents
When you or a loved one suffers a serious head or brain injury due to the negligent, wrongful, or intentional conduct of someone else, you do not have to face the consequences alone. Reach out to our traumatic brain injury lawyers in Jackson at MW Law Firm - Mama Justice to learn how we can help you fight for the justice you deserve.
Who Is Liable for a Brain Injury?
As in other types of personal injury cases, determining liability in a brain injury case can be very complicated. Most often, the person or party that actually caused the injury or the incident that led to the injury is the one responsible for paying the victim’s damages. In some cases, however, a third party may share some or all of the blame. For example, if your loved one suffered a devastating TBI in a motor vehicle accident with a large commercial truck, the trucking company could be liable for the resulting damages, even though the truck driver caused the collision.
Our firm has the resources to fully investigate your claim. We work with a team of accident reconstructionists, medical evaluators, and expert witness to determine exactly how your injury occurred—and who is liable. We also work tirelessly to demonstrate the full extent of your damages, including your current and future losses. Our goal is to maximize your recovery and provide you and your family with the financial resources needed to heal.
Request a Complimentary Consultation Today
A serious brain injury can completely change your life. At MW Law Firm - Mama Justice, we understand the immense impact these injuries have, and we want to help you fight for the justice you are owed.
Our brain injury attorneys in Jackson bring decades of experience to their legal practice, including extensive litigation and trial experience. While we strive to recover fast, favorable settlements for our clients, we are also fully prepared to represent you in the courtroom if necessary.
Get in touch with us today to request a completely free and confidential consultation. Because we provide our legal services on a contingency fee basis, there are absolutely no attorney fees unless/until we recover compensation for you.
Tennessee Bar Association
U. S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit
U. S. District Courts for Northern and Southern Mississippi
Supreme Court of the State of Mississippi
United States Bankruptcy Court
American Bar Association
Mississippi Bar Association
The National Trial Lawyers Top 100
Mrs. Wigginton is true to her name.- Lillian F.
Missy is a fighter and doesn't give up on her cases.- Gayla
Mama Missy truly cares about her clients.- Elizabeth
Best lawyer ever!- Former Client
Missy gets the job done!- Keith