Common Types of Motorcycle Injuries We See in Memphis
A motorcycle accident can be catastrophic, no matter who is to blame or where the impact occurs. Motorcycle accidents can lead to serious injuries, especially for riders. Riders are exposed to external factors like wind and road conditions and are at risk of sustaining internal injuries if a collision occurs.
Motorcycle accidents involving injury can be devastating, causing a range of different injuries and causing severe damage to various parts of the body. Injuries that can occur during a motorcycle accident include:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries: When it comes to traumatic brain injuries, motorcyclists are the most susceptible of all groups. A rider may sustain a concussion or brain damage due to the crash’s impact. A head injury from a motorcycle crash can lead to severe health complications like intracranial bleeding, blood clots, and herniation. The risk of head trauma is increased when the rider is not wearing a proper helmet, which can lead to intracerebral hemorrhage and brain swelling.
- Spinal Injuries: One of the most devastating injuries that can be suffered in a motorcycle accident is a spinal injury. Spinal fractures and injuries can be just about as catastrophic for a motorcycle rider as severe brain trauma. A spinal injury can lead to partial or total paralysis and long-term disability, depending on the severity of the injury. A spinal injury can cause long-term issues and require extensive physical therapy to recover.
- Internal injuries: Many serious motorcycle accidents cause severe injuries to the victim’s internal organs. Serious motorcycle accidents can cause severe impacts that result in immediate, life-threatening injuries. Riders have a much higher risk of traumatic brain injuries and other serious internal injuries after an accident; some of these issues can only be treated by surgery. These kinds of injuries may require a doctor’s attention, so if you suspect someone has been hurt badly enough to need medical treatment, don’t hesitate to seek immidiate medical attention.
- Lower Extremities Injury: Lower-extremity injuries account for a high percentage of all motorcycle crash injuries. Lower extremity injuries cause 16% of all motorcycle crash-related emergency room visits. A recent NHTSA study revealed that leg injuries are at the most common lower extremity injuries seen in motorcycle crashes.
- Road Rash: Road rash is one of the most common injuries that victims of motorcycle accidents may experience. The treatment of road rashes varies depending on the severity and location of the wound. Protective clothing can prevent road rashes to some extent, but it may be difficult to completely avoid if a rider gets thrown off their bike.
- Skull Fractures: Injuries to the skull, particularly a fracture to the skull, can have alarming consequences on victims. A fractured skull can lead to complications if blood vessels and veins are damaged. In serious situations, a skull fracture can cause brain damage.
- Soft Tissue Injuries: Injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident can include abrasions, lacerations, cuts, and bruises. These injuries are caused when a rider runs into an obstacle at speed, severely damaging skin and muscle on impact. Skin abrasions and lacerations due to collisions with the ground are common injuries caused by falling off a motorcycle. These can be treated by cleaning the wounds, wrapping them with bandages, or putting on protective paddings.
- Broken Bones: Riding a bike can be dangerous, especially in Memphis. If a collision occurs and the biker isn’t properly protected by protective clothing, they may break some bones. Wearing protective clothing such as leather and gloves can protect your body from injuries.
Common Types of Motorcycle Accidents in Memphis
There are many different types of motorcycle accidents, and each comes with its own unique set of causes and consequences. Some common types of motorcycle accidents our Memphis motorcycle accident attorneys see most frequently include:
- Head-on Collisions: Head-on vehicle crashes are the most common type of motorcycle accidents, occurring in nearly 60% of fatal motorcycle crashes. This type of accident occurs when a motorcyclist collides with a car head-on. Motorcyclists are less protected in terms of both their size and lack of protection, when compared to cars and trucks. When a car or truck hits a motorcycle, there is a good chance both are driving at high speeds, increasing the odds of the motorcyclists not surviving or sustaining severe injuries. Head-on collisions are often fatal and can be prevented by riding defensively and being aware of your surroundings.
- Left-turn Accidents: Left-turn accidents are particularly dangerous for motorcyclists. They usually occur when a car driver fails to see the motorcycle in their blind spot while turning at an intersection or when the car driver misjudges the speed of the motorcycle. One of the leading causes of left-turn accidents is a vehicle that fails to yield the right-of-way to a motorcyclist traveling straight through an intersection. Motorcyclists are especially vulnerable because they have no protection from the force of a collision. Low-speed and high-speed collisions can be just as dangerous. Left-turn accidents can cause serious injury on the road.
- Sideswipe Collisions: Sideswipe collisions occur when a motorcyclist is riding in between two lanes of traffic, and one vehicle swerves into the motorcycle’s path. To avoid these types of accidents, it is important to use your turn signals when changing lanes and to ride predictably so that other drivers can anticipate your movements.
- Lane Switching: Lane switching is a common practice that most motorcyclists have exercised, especially in traffic. When traffic is at a standstill during rush hour and motorcycles are forced to slow down, they sometimes move into empty lanes to increase their speed without having to weave through traffic. However, the proximity of moving vehicles makes it hard for motorcycles to maneuver, making this practice extremely unsafe. It can lead to severe injuries.
Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Memphis
Motorcycles lack the safety features commonly found in vehicles, making them more likely to suffer catastrophic injuries in an accident than car drivers.
Motorcycle accidents are all too common in Memphis, and can lead to injuries that can last a lifetime or even death. Common causes of motorcycle accidents in Memphis include:
- Drunk driving
- Distracted driving
- Limited visibility
- Aggressive driving
- Failing to yield the right of way
- Poor road surface condition
- Violation of traffic laws
If you’ve been involved in any kind of motorcycle crash, you need to seek the legal services of an experienced motorcycle accident attorney at Mama Justice. No matter the cause of the accident, our experienced Memphis motorcycle accident lawyers will help you build a strong motorcycle accident case and fight for the compensation you deserve to recover damages.
What to do after being Involved in a Motorcycle Accident in Memphis
No one ever expects to be in a motorcycle accident, but unfortunately, they do happen. Were you involved in a motorcycle accident in Memphis? If so, then you know how traumatic and confusing the experience can be. But what do you do next?
If you find yourself involved in a motorcycle accident in Memphis, there are some steps you should take to ensure that you are taken care of both physically and legally. These steps include:
- Seek medical attention: If you have been involved in a motorcycle accident in Memphis, it is vital to seek medical attention even if your injuries seem minor. Various injuries can occur in a motorcycle accident, some of which may not be immediately apparent. Internal bleeding can occur without any visible external wounds. It is therefore important to get checked out by a doctor or go to the emergency room as soon as possible after being involved in a motorcycle accident.
- Get the contact and insurance information of the other driver involved in the accident: In the aftermath of a motorcycle accident, it’s crucial to get the contact and insurance information of the other driver involved. This will help facilitate insurance claims and any legal action that may need to be taken. If the other driver is uncooperative or refuses to provide this information, you can call the police for assistance.
- File a police report: After being involved in a motorcycle accident, it is important to file a police report. This will create an official record of the accident, which can be helpful if you need to make an insurance claim or take legal action. If the accident was small and there were no injuries, you may be tempted to exchange information with the other driver and move on. However, even a minor collision can cause damage to your bike or helmet, and it’s essential to have documentation of what happened in case something unexpected comes up later.
- Gather evidence: After being involved in a motorcycle accident, it’s crucial to gather as much evidence as possible from the scene. This includes taking photos and getting witnesses’ contact information. Doing this will help you build a strong case if you decide to file a personal injury claim.
- Contact an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer: Getting into a motorcycle accident is a traumatic experience. It can be a difficult and lonely process navigating insurance claims and determining fault after a crash. You should contact an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer who can help you navigate insurance claims and personal injury lawsuits.
Our Memphis motorcycle accident lawyers at Mama Justice have years of experience handling motorcycle accident cases, and they can help get you the compensation you deserve. Contact us today for a free consultation.
Compensation Available to Motorcycle Accident Victims in Memphis
The aftermath of a motorcycle accident is often challenging to deal with. The physical pain and suffering that comes as a result of a terrible crash can be debilitating, and not all victims can get over their injuries physically or find the emotional strength to confront the accident itself.
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident, no matter the cause, you deserve maximum compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and other costs related to your injuries. The personal injury attorneys at Mama Justice have the experience to help you win your personal injury lawsuit and get fair compensation.
Compensation that may be available to motorcycle accident victims includes:
- Income Replacement: Income replacement is one type of compensation that may be available. This type of compensation can help to replace the income that was lost as a result of the accident. The severity of injuries plays a big factor in determining the amount of lost wages the victim may receive. Likewise, the number of weeks the victim will have to recover from their injuries greatly affects their earnings potential.
- Medical Expenses: Medical bills can be costly, and they include expenses associated with past and future care. These can include physical therapy, surgery, hospital stays, doctor visits, medication, and rehabilitation. Our legal team of experienced Memphis motorcycle accident attorneys can help you win your motorcycle accident lawsuit to seek compensation for medical expenses.
- Pain and Suffering: Pain and suffering damages are intended to compensate the victim for the pain suffered as a result of the injuries, as well as for the loss of any ability to participate in activities that were enjoyed before the accident. If your injuries are severe, or if they have caused long-term effects, then you may be able to receive more compensation for pain and suffering.
Speak to a Memphis Motorcycle Accident Attorney Today
When you’ve been injured in an accident, you want to make sure that you receive the compensation you deserve for your medical bills, pain and suffering, and more. When pursuing personal injury claims for a motorcycle accident, it’s important to work with a Memphis motorcycle accident lawyer who will fight aggressively for your rights.
Our motorcycle accident lawyers are familiar with Tennessee law and can help you navigate the complex legal system. The lawyers at Mama Justice are experienced in pursuing compensation for victims and helping victims get the justice they deserve. Injured and in need of a lawyer? Contact us today at Mama Justice. Call (662) 262-26264 for a free initial consultation with an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer.