Hello friends and family, I am Missy Wigginton, also known as Mama Justice. When meeting me, some people ask me how I got my name. The answer: I h... View Profile
Tupelo Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
Have you or someone you love been injured in a Mississippi motorcycle crash? If so, call the Tupelo motorcycle accident attorneys at Mama Justice today. We can help you.
A lot of people choose to ride a motorcycle because it gives them a sense of adventure and freedom, but what happens when a careless driver causes an accident and that freedom is taken away? If you or a family member has been seriously injured in a Tupelo motorcycle accident you are probably worried about the medical bills you have piling up and are wondering how you are going to make up for your lost wages and your potential lost earnings in the future.
These questions and many others are common among Mississippi motorcycle accident victims. Most people feel lost and confused as they try to find a solution to their financial, physical, and mental difficulties.
Our team at Mama Justice has handled a wide variety of different Tupelo motorcycle accident injury claims in our decades of personal injury law experience. We work tirelessly to obtain the best possible results for our clients.
We believe that being a personal injury attorney involves more than just knowing the law and applying it to our client’s cases. It requires compassion, diligence, and the ability to be aggressive.
Under the guidance of our founding attorney, Missy Wigginton, AKA Mama Justice, our Tupelo legal team has decades of combined personal injury experience. We understand personal injury and loss and will fight for justice on your behalf or on behalf of your family member.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Tupelo
Motorcycles are considerably smaller than a standard passenger vehicle and are extremely susceptible to being ignored or overlooked by careless drivers. As a matter of fact, driver negligence is the main cause of motorcycle accidents. This negligence can take multiple forms, including:
- Unsafe lane changes: Drivers should only change lanes when it is safe to do so. Motorcycles are small, so responsible drivers should always check their surroundings, including blind spots and mirrors, and ensure they use their blinker before changing lanes. A driver making a sudden and dangerous lane change can cause a disastrous motorcycle accident.
- Failure to yield: Motorcycle accidents often happen at intersections, particularly when the driver of a passenger vehicle doesn’t notice a motorcyclist and fails to yield the right of way. Failure to yield collisions occur frequently on right-hand turns and unprotected left-hand turns. Left-hand turn accidents are the most common kind of collision between cars and motorcycles.
- Distracted driving: Driver distraction is the most dangerous threat on Mississippi roadways, especially for motorcycle riders who can easily go unnoticed by a driver who chooses to text, make a phone call, or perform another distracting activity over showing attention to the road.
- Drunk driving: Driving under the influence is a negligent, illegal, and very dangerous act that can forever change the life of an innocent motorcycle rider. When drunk drivers choose to get behind the wheel, they are more likely to overlook a motorcycle rider.
Every driver has a legal obligation to operate their vehicle safely and take reasonable precautions that lower the risks of an avoidable accident. When this duty is not met due to negligent behavior, drivers can and should be held accountable for the damages they cause.
These damages often include substantial medical bills and lost wages from being unable to work. Damages can also include the costs of anticipated future medical care, psychological anguish, pain and suffering, and even emotional injuries endured by the victim’s family members.
Most Common Types of Motorcycle Accidents in Tupelo
Just like car accidents, motorcycle accidents can happen in many different ways. Some of the more common types of motorcycle accidents in Tupelo include:
A broadside collision is one of the most dangerous kinds of accidents a motorcyclist can be involved in. When a motorcycle gets broadsided, or “T-boned,” they have almost no protection against the impact. In most cases, the rider will be pinned, ejected, flipped, or otherwise get ejected, pinned, or otherwise removed from his bike.
The number one cause of broadside motorcycle accidents is a complete lack of awareness on behalf of one of the motorists. Although driver distraction and inattention are completely preventable, injury-causing and deadly broadside crashes are still happening in Tupelo and across the country.
Some of the more common causes of broadside motorcycle accidents are:
- Blindly entering traffic
- Driver inattention
- Failure to yield the right of way
- Running a stop sign or traffic light at an intersection
- Making a right on red without looking
- Road rage or aggressive driving
Head-on collisions can be serious and even deadly for motorcyclists. This kind of accident is dangerous enough when it involves passenger vehicles and even oversized trucks. Motorcycles do not come equipped with the myriad of safety features available on larger vehicles. A rider is completely exposed and can become a human projectile during a head-on collision.
Motorcycles are not designed to withstand this kind of impact. Although most people are aware of the hazards associated with oncoming traffic, there are still some drivers who refuse to properly and safely share the road. When drivers are impaired, reckless, or distracted, they are putting motorcyclists and others on the road at an increased risk of being involved in a serious or fatal crash.
Studies have shown that the majority of head-on motorcycle accidents in Mississippi are caused by:
- Distracted drivers
- Drunk drivers
- Reckless drivers
- Drowsy drivers
- Roadway debris
- Aggressive driving or road rage
- Failing to yield the right of way
- Falling asleep at the wheel
- Confused elderly drivers
A left-turn accident is something that motorcyclists are aware of and vigilant about. They happen when irresponsible drivers pull out directly into the path of a motorcycle, forcing the rider to sharply swerve or slam on their breaks to avoid a collision. Unexpected maneuvers and sudden braking are much more dangerous to motorcycle riders. These vehicles require more distance and time than others to safely circumvent a negligent driver. In many instances, drivers claim they never even saw the motorcyclist before they pulled out in front of them.
Since motorcycle accidents often leave riders in the hospital unable to work, it is important to reach out to a skilled motorcycle accident lawyer in Tupelo immediately following your accident.
Some of the leading causes of left-turn motorcycle accidents in Mississippi include:
- Driving through an intersection against the light
- Driving while distracted
- Passing a vehicle waiting for oncoming traffic to clear
- Jumping a turn signal as it’s changing color
- Driver inattention
- Making a turn in dangerous conditions
- Misjudging or mistiming your entrance into traffic
- Limited visibility due to inclement weather or poor intersection planning
After a motorcycle accident, you need to speak with a Tupelo motorcycle accident attorney about your case, even if liability seems obvious and your insurance adjustor is cooperative. A Tupelo motorcycle crash lawyer can ensure that you are treated fairly and aren’t being short-changed for your damages.
Get our Tupelo motorcycle accident lawyers on your side. Contact Mama Justice now.