Mass Torts Claims
A mass tort is a claim that stems from a wrongful act that causes injuries to a large number of people. In mass tort claims, the victims all file separate lawsuits against the defendant, each seeking financial compensation for the defendant’s negligence.
Some examples of recent defective medical device/drug lawsuits include:
- 3M Earplugs: Military-issued earplugs with a flaw that causes their noise-canceling abilities to decrease over time, resulting in permanent damage.
- Attune Knee Replacements: Knee replacements that have failed at a rate much higher than anticipated. They can cause the knee to detach from the patient’s tibia causing excessive pain, restricted mobility, and severe infections.
- Bair Hugger surgical blankets: A surgical blanket that has been proven to spread bacteria and germs over a surgical wound leading to an infection.
- Belviq: A weight-loss drug that has been shown to cause cancer.
- Elmiron: A drug designed to treat interstitial cystitis that has been linked to vision loss and retinal damage.
- Invokana: A diabetes drug associated with ketoacidosis, kidney problems, and other severe side effects.
- IVC blood clot filters: Blood clot filters that can break, become displaced, and cause perforation of the internal organs.
- Johnson & Johnson talcum powders: Talcum powders that have been associated with the development of ovarian cancer.
- Metal-on-metal hip implants: Hip implants that can send metal shards into the patient’s bloodstream. They require surgery to extract and replace.
- Transvaginal mesh: Mesh that can erode through the patient’s vaginal wall and other organs. It is very difficult to remove.
- Xarelto: A blood-thinner that can cause uncontrollable bleeding for which there is no remedy.
- Zantac: A medication designed to treat heartburn that has been linked to risks of developing cancer when a carcinogen 3000 times greater than the FDA’s daily limit was found during testing.
You should not be made to endure a lifetime of consequences because a manufacturer led you to believe their product was safe. Our mass tort lawyers are prepared to thoroughly investigate your case, advise you on how to proceed, and walk you through each part of the legal process. We serve clients from different offices throughout Mississippi, Alabama, and Tennessee.